playa del carmen.
News flash… It’s freezing… So I'm already dreaming of slash planning my next trip back to playa del Carmen. Two weeks ago Patrick and I (admittedly after several hibiscus margaritas from Tico - they’re amazing!), planned a trip with two of our best friends, Allie and Christian. The result? An incredible fun, flawless, and remarkable 4 days in Mexico!
We booked our trip through Expedia.com. It's safe to say that going forward I will be booking all trips through Expedia. They have been consistently inexpensive, reliable and easy to use. This trip was no different (so much so that it was booked in under 10 minutes). We were able to book the trip to get three full days and nights, all inclusive and at a 5 star, adult only resort.
Highlight of the trip was without a doubt the Royal Playa Del Carmen Resort. The service, the food, the location... And the list goes on. So often when your trip is all inclusive there is always something off, but truly we just were more and more impressed as time went on. When we arrived we did upgrade our pool side accommodations to private cabanas that were poolside with ocean views and this came with the most incredible lobster dinner on the beach for our last night (for just $115 per couple - I’m a sucker for a good deal clearly). Our daily lunches however, were definitely the highlight of every day. We ate every lunch at the restaurant on the resort, along the water, “Pelicanos.” Allie and I shared a house salad, sea bass Carpaccio and shrimp rouchelesse and it was so fresh and delicious - hit the spot every time (and we threw in dos Sauvignon blanc, dos tecate, y dos agua en fuego…)!
Every day started and ended with a beautiful breeze that seemed to help the sun rise and set. It was perfect! If you're looking for the perfect getaway I give it 5 stars - our second trip down is in the works!
My five tips for the perfect Mexico trip:
1. Pack light... Skipping the security lines and baggage check saved us going both directions with getting to our respective destinations faster.
2. If you have the opportunity to eat on the beach you won't regret it. Take the time to book a private romantic beach dinner - most resorts have this option (Patrick and I also did it on our honeymoon) and it’s fantastic!
3. Take a siesta. Nothing is better than an afternoon nap by the water! Our private cabanas were perfect for this every afternoon.
4. Order local but not too local. Stick to what is recommended without going too far out of your comfort zone.
5. But always order the nachos!
Until next time Mexico!