Game day bites are crucial at the carberry house (well any bite is but especially when the patriots are playing).
whenever I pick a recipe I like to take it a step further and make it my own with a small addition or tweak. This one was tough because it looked so delicious already! The original recipe from buzzfeed for these meatball pizza balls was basically a heart attack waiting to happen so I just decided to make it even more so... by adding spicy salami. Here's my version:
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 batch pizza dough
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ link of spicy salami (of your choice)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Salt, Pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Extra marinara for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In small pan add two tablespoons of olive oil and 2 cloves of garlic. Quickly flash fry until garlic is very slightly brown.
- In a medium bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, egg, salt, pepper, and garlic/oil until evenly combined.
- Pinch off a ball of the mixture, roll between your hands to make ping pong ball-sized meatball.
- Cook the meatballs over medium heat, turning to brown each side but not cooking all the way through. Remove from heat and drain on a paper towel.
- Finely chop pieces of the salami into small cubes
- Flatten the pizza dough rounds and top with a tablespoon of marinara, a pinch of the salami and mozzarella cheese.
- Place one meatball over the dough and wrap the dough over the meatball pinching at the seams to close.
- Place the balls in a circle, seam-side down, in a cast-iron skillet.
- Mix the melted butter with garlic, salt, parmesan, and Italian seasoning. Brush the balls with the mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Place a bowl of warm marinara sauce in the middle of the skillet.
These two bite balls of deliciousness were gone in 10 minutes (and we made two rings)!!
Enjoy! Go Pats!